Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Monday: the Best Day of the Week

While Mondays can have a bad reputation, they happen to be my favorite day of the week. On Mondays, I spend four hours with my lively kindergarten classes. These students, some as young as four years old, eagerly express their affection with hugs and kisses as I enter the classroom. 

They are curious to learn new English words and I am regularly bombarded with the phrase, "¿Como se dice ________ en ingles?" Usually, I can readily provide the answers to their questions; however, I am sometimes stumped by their request to translate the occasional obscure word, such as "ceiling fan."

We have learned about shapes, colors, numbers, weather, and emotions. Some of the best tools in the classroom are the vocabulary flashcards that I make with computer paper and crayons. They love repeating the vocabulary words in different voices: high-pitched, low-pitched, fast, slow, quiet, and loud.

However, like most children, their favorite activities are hands-on and interactive. When we learned weather vocabulary, I brought a tote bag to class that was filled with various items ranging from an umbrella and scarf to sunscreen and rain boots. Students selected an item from the bag and placed it beneath a corresponding sign that depicted a weather condition. Students loved being able to grab an item from the bag and even wear it. The boys particularly enjoyed modeling a pair giant sunglasses.  

Considering the passion for rhythm and music in Latin America, students love listening to and learning new songs. We always open class with the same songs and "If You're Happy and You Know It" is a favorite.

No characteristic is more needed in the Colombian classroom than flexibility. I have yet to teach an entire week of class according to the schedule that we made at the beginning of the year. In the lesson that my friend helped me record as part of my TEFL certification, the CD player stopped working, one little girl threw up, and the janitorial staff came into the room to clean the mess. That same day, my classes were shortened by a surprise visit from a photographer who was taking class photos. Teaching in this environment always keeps me on my toes, but the experience is priceless. 







No comments:

Post a Comment