Sunday, May 3, 2015

Momentos Especiales

Rather than spending last Sunday evening preparing English lessons for the week ahead, another volunteer and I went to a restaurant in a lively area of the city. With a continuing teacher strike that has indefinitely canceled classes, we found ourselves wanting to explore Barranquilla. 

After dining, we made our way to a wide, open expanse known as the Plaza de la Paz. This area bustled with people of all ages. While some practiced their skateboarding skills, others danced in front of a large speaker blaring music. Children scurried across the smooth pavement on their bicycles and roller blades.

The stained-glass windows of a massive cathedral sparkled under the street lights as busses and taxis moved through the streets. Men dressed in colorful uniforms maneuvered ice-cream carts around the playing children. 

My friend and I situated ourselves on a set of stairs where we could observe the energetic scene before us. We watched the dancers perform backflips and handstands among their dance moves. 

As the evening progressed, the action slowly dissipated. The music stopped, the crowd thinned, and my friend found herself wanting something from a food vendor. 

When one of the street dancers saw my friend motioning toward the vendor, he proceeded to buy both of us a sucker. He, along with a few of his friends, joined us on the steps. 

José Alberto immediately began sharing his story. He talked about his happiness, his struggles, and how he remains positive. The twenty-two year old Venezuelan is working temporary in Barranquilla and living with his mother, a Colombian, during that time. His father, who works on a ship, travels a lot and has children in multiple countries. 

Although only living in Barranquilla for a short time, he became friends with a group of street dancers who meet regularly in the plaza. Dancing is a creative outlet. 

"I have many problems, but when I dance, everything is good," he explained. His excitement for dancing and his ability to find joy in spending time in the plaza inspired me. 

I am thankful for my brief encounter with this man. Some people enter your life for an hour, others for just a few months, and others for years. These encounters, no matter how long their duration, happen for a reason. Each person has a story to share. Each person has the potential to brighten--even shape--another life. Being more conscientious of this fact is my goal as the next month progresses. I want, not only to listen and learn from those around me, but to also brighten the lives of those I encounter...even if it is merely through a smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment